Need some more Drag Race in your life? Drag Race Philippines is breathing fresh life into the franchise.
Are you up to speed? Let’s get into it.
The mini challenge
This week’s mini challenge was a photoshoot.
It was a bit of a messy assignment – get into quick-drag for a nude illusion photoshoot.
A drag nude-illusion takes some time, it would have made more sense to do a nude photoshoot out of drag. But what we got was everyone looking fairly rough.
It was a group photo, with the winner being the one who stood out the most.
Minty was declared the winner.
This week was a ball, requiring two looks.
The first look was opulent shopping, while the second was a design challenge using unconventional materials.
- Brigiding: Brigiding’s first look took inspiration from the 80s combined with a bit of rich girl klepto. The design challenge look was cute – colourful and bright and cohesive.
- Marina: Marina gave us Crazy Rich Asians for her first look. Her design challenge look was successful – she used colourful fans to create shape and proportion in a put-together look.
- Minty: Mingty gave us a pop-princess going shopping in animal print for the first look, and then the design challenge she used lots of different patterns in a colour-block technique to create something that looked quite fashion.
- Precious: The first look from Precious was a bit underwhelming, she was wearing an overcoat and carrying lots of LV bags. The second look was a successful use of colour and shape and got the job done.
- Viñas: I didn’t really get the first look that Vinas presented – it was a comedic parody of a character that host Pao has played on television. The design challenge look was a lot of stuff stuck together and overwhelmed her a bit.
- Xilhouette: Xilhouette gave us regal Asian empress for her first look, and then for the second look used leopard-print paper to successfully create a structured dress.
- Eva: Eva’s first look was cute – a white power-suit with a massive white hat. The design challenge look was less successful – she’d ambitiously tried to create and paint a statement garment but the results weren’t great.
Brigiding was declared safe.
In the top were Xilhouette, Minty, and Marina. Minty was declared the winner.
In the bottom were Precious, Eva, and Vinas. Precious was safe, leaving Eva and Vinas in the Bottom 2.
The track was Born Naked by RuPaul.
Maybe the production team are contracted to include a certain number of RuPaul tracks in this series. You wouldn’t choose this one unless you had to.
Vinas seemed to be at a disadvantage from the beginning – her injured foot seemed to make it impossible for her to move.
Eva brought a lot of enthusiasm to her performance – there was a wig reveal, a crunchy cartwheel, and a lot of movement around the stage. It wasn’t the most polished performance from Eva but there was definitely a lot of energy.
Can’t quite believe that we’re saying goodbye to Vinas but it wasn’t a surprise when Eva was safe and Vinas eliminated.
Episode 7, done!
What's life like for LGBTQ people in the Philippines?
What’s life like for LGBTQ people in the Philippines? Let’s take a look at some of the key equality indicators.
Is homosexuality legal in the Philippines?
Yes. Same-sex sexual activity is legal.
Are there anti-discrimination protections in place for LGBTQ people in the Philippines?
There are some anti-discrimination protections place, but further work needs to be done to implement comprehensive protections against discrimination on the grounds of sexuality.
Is there Marriage Equality in the Philippines?
No. There is no legal recognition of same-sex relationships. Marriage is specifically limited to opposite-sex couples.
What’s life like for LGBTQ people in the Philippines?
In general, the Philippines is a fairly welcoming and accepting place in relation to LGBTQ people.
However, there is quite a lot of variation in the experience of LGBTQ people. Some parts of the country are very religious, and homophobia is frequently encountered.