'The first Incheon Queer Culture Festival was the scene of mass hate violence that left great trauma on sexual minorities and their allies’, organisers said.
Authorities in South Korea have announced they will not be charging anyone over violence at an LGBT pride event last year. Organisers and witnesses of the Incheon Queer Culture Festival (IQCF) say about 1,000 anti-LGBT and Christian demonstrators verbally and physically abused attendees of a march in September. Government prosecutors, however, said there was a ‘lack of evidence’ and that they ‘cannot prove the relationship between violence and [homophobic] organisations’, according to local journalists. On Tuesday (28 May), IQCF organizers said police had shown ‘an extreme level of incompetence’ in failing to bring people to account. ‘This is tantamount to supporting the perpetrators and assisting them to repeat the violence’, organisers said.
To read more, click here!